How to Apply
Welcome to our instructions on how to apply to our program. Please take your time to read them carefully in order to make sure you submit a complete application that we can consider.
You can ONLY apply by using the online application platform linked to this website (see below). Please do not send any other type of application by regular mail or by email. They will be discarded!
If you have already started your PhD project in Berlin, please head over to the FAQ section.
Our online application platform is a "one-step" application system – once you start you have to finish! You will not be able to save the application form in between or upload documents later. This means you should have all the relevant information and all documents you want to submit ready at the time of application!
IMPORTANT: Please note that after submission of the application form by clicking the "START" button you CANNOT change the information provided or the documents uploaded!
Online application form
- The online application form must be completed in ENGLISH only.
- Please make sure that all your personal details including your email address and postal mail address are up to date as we will be using them to communicate with you throughout the whole application process!
- All fields marked with an "!" are required information. Fields marked with an "*" are limited in terms of characters accepted.
- In section 4 called "References" you will have to provide us with the contact details of two referees that support your application. This is an important part of your application! Our system will inform your referees shortly after your application has been submitted. We strongly advise you to pick your referees carefully and inform them about their role BEFORE you apply. Please consider that your referees will only have time to submit their references until May 27th, 2020! PLEASE make sure there are no typos in the referee contact details! Otherwise, our system will be unable to contact them.
- You can choose your research group preferences according to the project descriptions in section 5. The pulldown menu allows you to choose faculty members that offer a project within this round of recruitment. The order in which you make your picks is usually interpreted as a tentative ranking. This influences who of the faculty members will evaluate your application. However, it does not limit your choice at a later stage by any means! Once you are invited to our assessment week in Berlin you will have the opportunity to meet every faculty member that offers a project und can still change your mind.
- The section 5.2 "Motivation and career plans" is one of the most critical parts of your application! You should clearly communicate why you are an ideal candidate for the IMPRS-IDI. Importantly, you have to provide specific and meaningful insight into why you have made the choices in the research group preferences menu. Please comment also on your plans for your professional future. Here it is very important to be specific, meaningful and concise!
- At the end, we ask you to upload a single PDF document containing your CV, high school diploma, university certificates and transcripts and other supporting documents (such as GRE certificates, language tests, prize) IN THAT ORDER.
- Please DO NOT send thesis abstracts, posters or other documents of minor importance! Please stick to the pdf format and the file size limit of 10 MB. Otherwise, we cannot process your application. Application documents that do not meet these criteria may be disregarded.
To submit your application click the button "START".
IMPORTANT: Please note that you will not be able to change anything in your application after this point! Successful submission will be confirmed by email to you shortly after submission.
Please keep in mind: The application period is also a busy time for us as coordinators. Therefore, we will not be able to reply to you promptly. We will also not answer any requests on the status of your application! We will regularly inform on the progress of the application process.
HEAD OVER TO THE ONLINE APPLICATION FORM