Career Mentoring and Management Workshop with Dr. Ruth Willmott, BioScript
Career Mentoring and Management is designed for advanced doctoral researchers with the intention to opt out of academic tenure. When registering through email, please comment shortly, why you want to attend this workshop.
- 28-29 October: 1.5 d Career Mentoring and Management Intro
- 02 November: Career Mentoring and Management Follow-up group 1
- 03 November: Career Mentoring and Management Follow-up group 2
|Start||Oct 28, 2020 | 09:00 AM|
|end||Nov 03, 2020 | 05:00 PM|
In the Career Mentoring and Management (CMM): Applying for Jobs on the Wider Market workshop, you will receive comprehensive career advice about the wealth of alternative career paths that are open to you. We will also explore which skills, knowledge and experience, etc. will be needed to better position yourself to obtain your career goals. In addition, we will also cover how to best find and access these jobs via comprehensive and proactive job searching activities.
To better align your unique constellation of skills, knowledge and experience as well as your natural abilities, talents and preferences with your future career path goals, we will work with an Individual Development Plan (IDP).This will allow us to create an inventory of your core competencies, innate abilities and achievements that will act as a guide to help you better decide on, develop and manage your strategic short-and long-term career goals–a prerequisite to better shaping and steering your career path.
To be successful on the wider market, you will need outstanding self-marketing and professional application skills. You will therefore be armed with key presentation and communication skills such as how to optimally build and present your CV. To this end, we will also work on producing convincing personal career mission statements and strong core competencies summaries. Further, you will also learn how to best present your core competencies, innate abilities and achievements in attention-grabbing application letters. Finally, we will role play, record and analyse common interview questions to ensure that you gain competitive edge over other application candidates.
This workshop will cover:
Career mentoring and management
- Knowing which career options you have on the wider market
- Understanding what the wider market wants
- Identifying your skills, knowledge and experience as well as your natural abilities, talents and preferences (IDP)
- Deciding on strategic career goals and steering your career path
- Performing a comprehensive and proactive job search
Applying for jobs on the wider market
- Enhancing your Internet presence
- Building your CV and producing convincing career mission statements and strong core competencies summaries
- Writing attention-grabbing application letters
- Optimizing your interview technique